Thursday, June 20, 2013

Puerto Penasco it is!

Karin wrote:

The next day (June 18) I headed out with the Toyota to Rocky Point. (we get much grief from other cruisers for not calling it Puerto Penasco, but we're from Arizona and it's Rocky Point...sorry.) I was thrilled to see Sonora doing so well.  Lots of infrastructure being built, new roads, lots of farming, alot more gas stations and Santa Ana was booming with new stores and new buildings. So nice to see after 30 years of driving this road. They are growing grapes,olive trees and carrots down here all over the place! No more mile after mile of barren land. Desalinization has been a great step for Mexico.



Getting in to Rocky Point it was the same ol' place that I have always loved. I went straight to Mary's for a margarita and shrimp ceviche.  I sat next to the kitchen at the same table I have always sat, even though they have expanded to a huge deck upstairs where everyone goes for the view. While sitting there I noticed a woman watching t.v. in the corner. It was the same woman I have seen in there since I started coming here. I asked her if she was Mary. She said yes and we started a conversation, she practicing her english and me practicing my spanish and having fun correcting each other and talking about life in general. I wish I would have taken some photos but the margaritas had taken effect.

Found the marina where we are going to leave the boat and parked the car in their protected lot, and got a hotel room.  The next morning I awoke to cable t.v. and started to watch the Today show.  The announcement was "In our next segment we will be discussing whether or not to wave at other bikers / joggers and the implications!"  T.V. off.....Walter Cronkite must be turning in his grave.  I love our no media/marketing boat life.

Back in Guaymas and ready to get back out to the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment