Sunday, December 8, 2013

Friday, 11/29/2013, Bahia Willard; Saturday 11/30/13 Gonzaga Bay

Following an uneventful night crossing from Rocky Point, we arrived in Bahia Willard about an hour after sunrise. There was a North easterly swell of about 3 ft. and a light north wind. We set the bow into the wind, and dropped anchor. Unfortunately, the tide was going out, so it turned the boat directly broadside to the swells. We were in for a rolly day.
Imagine pitching back and forth, by 15 to 20 degrees, for 24 hours! That was our day. Always looking for the positive, we realized that almost all of our preparations for securing the cabin had worked out. As evening turned to night, we settled in for a movie. A little while later; I heard voices outside. The wind had picked up, and we were still rocking back and forth. I decided to peek outside, and as I looked to the right, there was a large, bearded man looking straight at me! He and another man were in a Panga, pulled alongside us, I was shocked... he was nearly on deck! He asked for a cigarette; asked if we wanted to buy some fish, and after getting negative responses to both,  he asked for some food. We gave him a loaf of bread, and sent him on his way. Harmless drunk fishermen..

The next morning, we decided to try the other side of the point, Gonzaga bay.  We hauled anchor and motored over. The anchorage looked good, and was protected from the swells.
Once the anchor was set, I tossed a hand line off the boat, and instantly hooked something!
Whenever you rush into something unprepared, expect the worst. I did have some gardening gloves on, but didn't have my pliers to remove the hook. In a split second, he got a good bite on my index finger. The pressure was unbelievable! I managed to get my hand out of the glove, but not without some torn flesh.
I didn't think about the teeth and jaw muscles the Triggerfish have, guess I found out the hard way! 
He did taste good though!
While I was cleaning the fish; a pelican patiently waited until I threw the carcass overboard, and devoured it in one bite! He seemed to have a hard time getting it down, but I'm sure he managed.
After dinner, we cleaned up and had a cocktail, and decided to make it an early night. At least we didn't have the swells to deal with.
 We're going to continue south in the morning, towards Bahia La Gringa, just north of Bahia Los Angeles.


No comments:

Post a Comment