Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday,12/3/2013, La Gringa to Bahia Los Angeles

Thankful for a non rolly night, we awoke to strong northerly winds, and hurried to get underway. Funny, as soon as we left the bay, the wind let up. A short motor to Bahia L.A., and we dropped anchor at the very spot we were at in June. Again, we decided it was too close to the rocks, and relocated farther out.
Once we were confident with our anchorage, we got the dinghy ready to go. We need fuel, and the only way to get it, is to take the jerry cans, and hitchhike to the Pemex station , about a mile away. I took care of that, while Karin and Jack got some beach time.

Getting a ride in these small villages is easy, so in a few minutes, a Federale of sorts ( he was wearing a securidad shirt) stopped an offered a ride. When we got to the station, he turned around to head back to town, I thought he was going to wait, and give me a ride back... instead, he just said "Okie Doke", and motioned me out. After filling the jerry cans, I just waited. There were no cars on the road. I struck up a broken spanish conversation with Luis, the attendant. A few minutes had passed, when a very rustic looking 80's pick up pulled in. The driver got out with a 5 liter water bottle, and got a few pesos of gas. I asked for a ride he agreed, so I got in; no door panels, no dashboard, nothing but seats. He takes the water bottle of gas, sets it on the floor next to me, and inserts two hoses into it, then we push start the truck, and he takes me back to the beach! Priceless! I wish I had a photo!


We transferred the fuel back to the boat, then, we went to Guillermo's for internet and a margarita. They have some Christmas decorations up, but under their tree, I saw a crucifix, with Jesus made of forks, and a spoon for his head. People can be so creative when there's little to work with.

Tiende's or small stores, are dotted around town, but as we approached the store, I looked up,.... and on the roof, two dogs, a pit bull, and a rottweiler!

Back on the boat we settled in for the evening, and... here comes the wind!
Elephante's they're called; mountain winds from the Pacific side come roaring down at near gale force. By 11 o'clock, we had hooked up our second anchor, just in case. Both of us on deck, watching the waves of chop crashing by, it makes you humble.
Never a dull moment with us! Anyway, we made it through, and that afternoon we decided to go to Porto Don Juan, a fully protected bay, 5 miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment