Thursday, April 3, 2014

4/3/2014: Bahia Santa Cruz

We anchored here in Bahia Santa Cruz yesterday, to have the bottom cleaned, and get out of the marina.($)


We enjoyed our marina week. Watching movies with the A/C on was a nice treat; while we were on shore power, why not? The showers were nothing special, but we really appreciated them. We did some provisioning, got haircuts, had some sushi at  the Konichiwa  sushi bar, across from the marina, it was very good, and reasonably priced.

I did manage to go surfing at La Bocana, Copalita. Karin and Jack stayed on the beach,she enjoyed walking, and watching Jack chase crabs.


I decided to go back the next morning, I caught some nice waves, but on one of them, I felt a "pop" in my left knee......uh oh. I went to a local doctor for an exam, he was nice, spoke english, and calmly explained that I had torn both meniscus. Oh well, he gave me a prescription for some anti-inflammatories, and a referral for an MRI, all for $40.00. So, I'll make it to Chiapas, just not too much activity on the way.

The rest of the week we spent some time with other cruisers in the marina, that were on their way to the El Salvador Rally. 

We had already made the decision that we would leave at high tide, because the channel was very narrow, and not too deep. High tide was at 5, and we were supposed to meet  Enrique at 4, so we left at 3, in some very gusty conditions. Planning our exit, and moving to the upwind side of our double slip, and asking for help on the docklines, made our departure uneventful. Yeah!!!

Santa Cruz is pretty nice, we found a decent anchorage, and today, we took the dinghy to town.
A nice shady square to rest and listen to the birds squawking in the trees.


Jack gets attention where ever we go, he sits calmly,
even when we take stupid pictures of him.




The next week, we'll spend anchoring in some of the many bays  here in Huatulco.
Next Fri. our friend Mark will arrive, and the we'll start watching the weather for the Tehuantopec.

4 comments:

  1. When I look through my news feed and see one of your posts, it's always the first one that I read. Life sounds great, except for the torn meniscus -- ow! On the other hand $40 for a doctor visit ain't bad. Virginia and I are struggling with the whole insurance question right now. I held out hope for the Affordable Care Act, but it still doesn't look very affordable. Sure would like to meet you two (Jack too, of course) and have a gam session. Looking forward to your next post. -- Brandon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandon! We're back in Santa Cruz with internet, so I'll be posting soon.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the "pop". I've lived and played Ultimate for a few years on a torn medial meniscus, but both? Take it easy on that kneebone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a torn lateral for years, but the doc said, 2/3 of the lateral was torn, and probably 1/4 of the medial. Won't know til I getr an MRI, maybe in Tapachula.

      Delete